Aztec UFO Crash & Recovery

Aztec UFO Crash & Recovery
Aztec UFO Crash & Recovery
Click For More Pictures

Date: March 25, 1948

Location: Aztec, NM

Frank Scully claimed that up to 1950, there had been four Roswell type recoveries, one of which was alleged to have taken place around Aztec, New Mexico, when 16 humanoid bodies were recovered together with their undamaged craft. According to Scullys informants, the disk that landed near Aztec was 100' in diameter, its exterior made of a light metal resembling aluminum but so durable that heat up to 10,000°, or diamond tipped drills had the slightest effect. The disk apparently incorporated large rings of metal which revolved around a central, stabilized cabin, using an unfamiliar gear ratio. There were no rivets, bolts, screws or signs of welding. Investigators were eventually able to gain entry.

Scully was told, because of a fracture in one of the portholes, which they enlarged, revealing a knob inside the cabin which when pushed, with a pole, caused a hidden door to open. 16 small humanoids, ranging in height from 36" to 42", were supposedly found dead inside the cabin, their bodies charred to a dark brown color. Scully was told that the craft landed undamaged, having landed under its own guidance. The craft was eventually dismantled, the investigators having discovered that it was manufactured in segments which fitted in grooves and were pinned together around the base. The complete cabin section, measuring 18' in diameter was lifted out of the base of the saucer, around which was a gear that fitted a gear on the cabin. These segments, together with the bodies, were then transported to Wright Field, Now Wright Patterson AFB. Some of the bodies were later dissected and examined by the Air Force, and were found to be similar in all respects to human beings, with the exception of their teeth, which were perfect.

According to newer information obtained in 1987, there is a large grain of truth in the Aztec story, with evidence. The producer of this information is unwilling to divulge his sources, which inevitably lays him open to charges of fabrication. He discovered that the Aztec disk came to earth on March 25, 1948, having been detected by three separate radar units in the southwest, one of which was said to have disrupted the craft's control mechanism. The area of impact was calculated by triangulation and this information was immediately relayed to Air Defense Command & Gen. George C. Marshall, then Secretary of State, who allegedly contacted the MJ-12 group as well as the Interplanetary Phenomenon Unit, of the Army Counterintelligence Directorate. The IPU operated out of Camp Hale, Colorado, at this time, and its main function was to collect and deliver disabled or crashed disks to certain specified secret locations. The craft was recovered within hours by the IPU scout team about 12 miles northeast of Aztec. General Marshall ordered Air Defense Command to go off alert status, and the radar units were advised that there had been a false alarm. Marshall then gave orders to the commander of the IPU to organize a recovery team and contacted Dr. Vannevar Bush, the head of MJ-12 to gather together a team of scientists to accompany the IPU to the crash site. They were as follows: Dr. Lloyd Berkner, Dr. Detlev, Bronk, Dr. Carl A. Heiland, Dr. Jerome Hunsaker, Dr. John von Neumann, Dr. Robert J. Oppenheimer, Dr. Merle A. Tuve & Dr. Horace B. van Vandenberg.

Four of these scientists, it will be noted, were members of the original MJ-12 panel set up in September 1947. Dr. Carl A. Heiland was a geophysicist and magnetic sciences expert who was the head of the Colorado School of Mines, and supposedly leaked details of the recovery to one of Scullys sources, Leo GeBauer. Dr. Horace B. van Vandenberg was an inorganic chemist associated with the University of Colorado. Dr. Merle A. Tuve worked for the Office of Scientific Research & Development during World War II, and is chiefly remembered as a geophysicist for his techniques of radio wave propagation of the upper atmosphere. Dr. Robert J. Oppenheimer distinguished himself primarily as leader of the Los Alamos atomic bomb project, commanding the allegiance of the world's top physicists. He was the Director of the Institute of Advanced Studies at Princeton in 1947 and became Chairman of the General Advisory Committee of the Atomic Energy Commission. Dr. John von Neumann, the famous Hungarian born mathematician, became a consultant on the Manhattan Project in 1943. His main area of expertise lay in the design and development of computers. The scientists, were told by Dr. Bush to assemble at Durango Airfield, Colorado, 35 miles to the north of Aztec, with minimum delay. All those involved in the recovery were sworn to an above top secret oath.

The IPU convoy used a route to the site that avoided main roads, and on arrival road blocks were set up at strategic points within 2 miles of the recovery area. The owner of a ranch & his family were allegedly held incommunicado and told never to discuss the matter. Equipment hauling trucks were camouflaged to look like oil drilling rigs during the operation.

A team of scientists arrived at the site a little later than the IPU team and began dissecting the disk. They entered the craft one by one, entry having been gained via a fractured porthole as described by Scully. The portholes themselves looked metallic and only appeared translucent on close inspection. Inside the craft they found two humanoids, about 2' in height, slumped over an instrument panel charred deep brown. Another 12 bodies lay sprawled on the floor in chamber within the cabin, making a total of 14 bodies. Not 16 as Scully had been told.

An instrument panel supposedly had several pushbuttons and levers with hieroglyphic-type symbols, as well as symbols illuminated on small display screens. Bush & von Neumann discovered that the control panel had drawers which rolled out, but no wiring could be detected. A book composed of parchment-like leaves with the texture of plastic also contained the strange hieroglyphs, similar to Sanskrit, Oppenheimer thought. This was given to General Marshall, who then passed it on to two leading cryptological experts for analysis, William F. Friedman & Lambros C. Callihamos, who both later led distinguished careers in the National Security Agency.

Dr. Bronk, a physiologist and biophysicist, examined the bodies and asked Bush to get hold of cryogenic equipment with which to preserve them. Cryogenics specialist Dr. Paul A. Scherer, a colleague of Bushs, was contacted and advised Bush to obtain some dry ice. Meanwhile, another small group of scientists & military personnel examined the craft and were eventually able to dismantle it when several interlocking key devices were found which opened up seams at specific points. 3 days later the segments were loaded onto 3 trucks, together with the bodies, and transported with a tarpaulin marked Explosives. The convoy headed at night by the least conspicuous and often most laborious route to the restricted Naval Auxiliary Airfield Complex at Los Alamos, arriving one week later. Here they remained for over a year, before being transported to another base.

Dr. Paul A. Scherer eventually obtained special preservation containers for the least damaged bodies. One of the companies which supplied equipment was the Air Research Corporation, of which Scherer was Director of Research and Development, it supplied the liquid nitrogen pump, circulation system and refrigeration units. Other specimens were given a complete autopsy, by a team headed by Dr. Bronk, of biophysicists, histochemists and pathologists. The results were put in a report, part of which, appeared in the Air Force Project Sign & Grudge Report No. 13 which has never been released.

According to the report, the bodies were described as averaging 42" in length. The facial features strongly resembled mongoloid Orientals in appearance, with disproportionately large heads, large slant eyes, small noses and mouths. The average weight was about 40#. The torsos were very small and thin, with very thin necks. The arms were long and slender, reaching the knees, with hands containing long and slender fingers with webbing between them. There was no digestive or gastrointestinal tract, no alimentary or intestinal canal, and no rectal point. No reproductive organs were apparent. Instead of blood there was a colorless liquid with no red cells which smelled similar to ozone.

Captain V.A. Postlethwait, who was on detached service with Army G-2, Intelligence, in 1948, cleared to see a top secret cable describing the crash of a saucer shaped craft 100' in diameter and 30' high, with one porthole broken, causing suffocation to the occupants, who had turned blue as a result. The bodies were about 4' tall with relatively large heads. The metallic skin of the saucer was too tough to penetrate, although as thin as newspaper. The incident was said to have occurred near White Sands, New Mexico. Aside from a few discrepancies there are some significant parallels with the Aztec case. For example, that private property was purchased to facilitate transporting the craft.

Dr. Robert Spencer Carr, a retired University of South Florida professor who claims to have testimonial evidence from five sources, including a nurse and a high ranking Air Force officer who participated in the recovery of a crashed UFO and occupants in 1948, presumed to be the one at Aztec. Although there was another alleged recovery that year, just across the Mexican border near Laredo, Texas. In 1982 Carr was asked to disclose the name of his principal source, on the premise that his age allows a little time tolerance in the search for truth. He did, and the individual asking the name was dumbfounded. It was a name well known in that area of research, and recalled some of his comments on UFOs while he served as an Air Force officer. Carr pleaded, Keep the name to yourself, please spare me any trouble as long as I live, My key witness participated in the 1948 retrieval and saw alien bodies on location.

Supposedly, 2 of Carrs sources were aeronautical engineers who provided important information regarding the saucers construction and propulsion. A source now thought to be is Arthur Bray, not to be confused with the Canadian researcher, a security guard involved with the recovery project. Carr also interviewed a woman whose father was present during the recovery. Information pertaining to the flying saucers must be suppressed, he told his daughter. If news of this vehicle's water driven engine got out to the whole scientific community, that would be the end of the oil industry. The comment is of course pure hearsay, but if there is any truth in it a further possible reason for the cover up is brought to light. At the still fenced off crash site on a plateau 12 miles northeast of Aztec, some have uncovered charred and scraped off rocks of various sizes as well as some metal bracing struts that might possibly have been used for supporting the craft.

As for George Bowras claim that no one in Aztec, could recall the incident, at least four people who knew where the crash site was located, one of whom, V.A., recalls that sometime between 1948 and 1950 a huge disk shaped flying object with a dome on top skimmed about 100' above the ground not far from him, and pointed out a cliff jutting above the Animas River. That thing, or flying saucer, tried hard to clear that cliff, but it hit the very corner up there, shooting sparks and rocks in every direction, Finally, it made a right angle turn in midair and headed straight north in the direction of the alleged crash site at Hart Canyon. That's the last I saw of it. I ran into the house and called the military in Albuquerque. I never heard from them about it.

| Home | About Us | Directory of Directories | Recent Additions | Top 10 Pages | Stories | Links |

web counter